In nursery before we focus on writing and reading we make sure your child has the foundations for learning firmly in place by focusing on the 3 Prime Areas. This means we support your child firstly with:
- Settling in so that your child feels safe and confident to explore our setting.
- Turn taking and playing kindly with friends.
- Being able to listen and concentrate for short periods of time.
- Following instructions.
- Being able to use the toilet independently.
- Move around safely.
- Communication skills.
This then gives us the base to build up your child's learning.
Hello Parents/ Carers,
In this section you will find the reading and writing objectives we would have been covering in nursery this term and next term. There are suggested activities you could do at home, however, these objectives are covered in our weekly planning so there is no need to do extra at home.
It is important to note that these objectives are used to guide our learning, however, we understand that each child will develop at their own rates in their own time.
For reading we have already covered the sounds s,a,t,p,i,n.
The next sounds will be moving on to are m,d,g,o,c,k. We always spend one week learning only one sound so that the children fully understand:
- What sound the letter makes.
- How the letter is formed by skywriting it in the air with our fingers. We do write the letters on paper yet.
- Being able to hear it at the beginning of different words.
This is all covered in our 5 things of the week .
For writing we always spend a lot of time on developing your child's fine motor skills and making marks before before starting letter formation. You can find some ideas below with how to support your child with this at home.