In nursery before we focus on mathematics we make sure your child has the foundations for learning firmly in place by focusing on the 3 Prime Areas. This means we support your child firstly with:
- Settling in so that your child feels safe and confident to explore our setting.
- Turn taking and playing kindly with friends.
- Being able to listen and concentrate for short periods of time.
- Following instructions.
- Being able to use the toilet independently.
- Move around safely.
- Speaking and listening skills.
This then gives us the base to build up your child's learning.
In F1 we teach mathematics based on the 'Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)' document alongside the 'Early Number Sense' approach.
In the documents below you can see the objectives we are covering for the spring and summer term. There is no need to do any additional work at home because we cover these in our weekly planning and in the 5 things of the week daily videos.
Wherever possible maths should not be a stand alone activity. It should be taught within real life contexts such as tidying up, setting the table, in role-play games and in lots of other ways too!
These objectives are used to guide our learning, however, we understand that each child will develop at their own rates in their own time.