In F2 we try to make writing as practical as possible and linked to the child’s interests. For example, your child may play with their dolls and you could encourage them to draw and write about their favourite or create a story about them. We would love to see any writing linked to their interests!
However, here are some ideas that are linked to our pick ‘n’ mix activities that could generate writing.
Some golden rules for writing:
- Encourage your child to identify sounds in the words they are trying to write. That may be just one sound, a few sounds or all of them. We don't mind!
- Encourage your child to use the phoneme mat in your original home learning packs.
- Encourage your child to come up with their own sentences and talk about their writing.
- When writing you may wish to use the following structure
- I do one - you write a word or sentence to show your child how.
- We do one - you both have a go together to write a word or sentence.
- You do one - your child has a go at writing all by themselves with no help.
- Be positive and encouraging of your child's attempts, do not worry about incorrect spelling. The process is more important than the product at this age.